{ Painting the Shutters }

I finally got around to painting the shutters.


I wanted a a color that I could stain to make it the perfect shade of aged copper.
Here goes.


I tried using a paint sprayer, but that was a complete failure.
The sprayer was a hand me down from a friend. I think it was about 20+ years old 
with dried paint in the nozzle to prove it.


So, I went ahead the old fashioned way with a brush and a roller.
There are only 10 shutters (so far), so it wasn't to bad.

Here's the winning color....


Here are the two shutters side by side.
I like the shutter without the stain too, only not for my style house.
May be if I had a house at the beach I would use this color without the stain.


Here's the process I used to stain the shutters.
I used Annie Sloan dark wax.
I applied it with a brush and a little pencil.
I used the pencil to get deep into the groves of the shutter.


I brushed the wax on the shutters with the grain of the wood.


Then I smudged and rubbed with a soft cloth all over the shutter.


Here's the before picture of the shutters. (minus one, obviously)


Here's a little trick I used for hanging the new shutters without having to drill new holes into the stone.
I laid the old shutter on top of the new shutter and pushed the screw through the old hole to make a mark in the new shutter where the screw should be. 


I hope that makes sense (?)
Here we are half way there.
What an improvement, eh?


And, with both shutters attached.


linking to
Saturday Nite Special link party via Funky Junk Interiors

0 comments:

Post a Comment